How to Use Varnish to Finish Wood
Varnishing wood is not very difficult but it does take a little patience as you are all but guaranteed to do more than one coat. That said, it give the wood a nice, protected finish. Read on to learn How To Use Varnish to Finish Wood
- Moderately Easy
- 1 Be sure the wood surface your are going to varnish is free of dust and dirt. Be sure the old finish is removed (bare wood)
- 2 The next step is to use the varnish as a primer or a sealer. Find yourself a good lint free cloth...
- 3 Put a rubber glove on your hand in order to keep the varnish off.
- 4 Dip the lint free cloth into the varnish. You don't have to dunk the whole cloth, just dip enough to start spreading onto the wood.
- 5 Work the varnish along the grain of the wood. Don't work against the grain. Repeat the above steps until your entire surface is covered.
- 6 Let the varnish dry thoroughly.
- 7 Get some light/fine sandpaper and lightly sand over the varnish. This will remove any dust or debris that may have settled on the varnish as well as smooth out any imperfections
- 8 Then get yourself a paint brush and reapply the varnish again working along the grain. Varnish the entire surface using the brush.
- 9 Let dry and then admire your work!