Sometimes when your computer or internet is slow it is because there are excess background programs running. You might be able to speed up your computer or internet simply by closing certain programs.
- 1 Click on the start button at the bottom corner of your computer monitor screen.
- 2 Then click on run
- 3 A window will appear. Inside the blank space of this window type in MSCONFIG
- 4 Click OK
- 5 A 'System Configuration Utility' window will appear on your PC screen. Click the 'Start Up' tab at the top right
- 6 A bunch of programs will appear on your computer screen. These are all the programs currently running regardless of whether you opened them to run on your PC or not.
- 7 Note the check boxes on the left side of each program. If the box is checked it means the program can run whenever it feels it needs to. If the box is not checked, it is disabled.
- 8 Review all the programs. Close the background programs you feel you no longer use. Make a note on a piece of paper as to which ones you closed
- 9 Keep in mind, I can't tell you which ones to close. A top priority program to one person might be the system crash program to another. Personally, I look for ones associated to old programs I've removed, notifications I don't care about, redundant software etc.
- 10 After closing (unchecking) the ones you want closed, click the OK button.
- 11 The next window will prompt you to reboot. Either reboot now or later to put changes in effect.
- 12 Next time you start your computer or internet hopefully it will be running fast or at least faster than before.
- 13 If something isn't working right on your computer, you may have unchecked a program that is essential. Consult the notes you took regarding which programs you closed. Reopen these programs one by one until resolved.
- 14 Thanks for reading my how to Close Background Programs for Faster Computer and